Enjoy the Convenience and Comfort of Same-Day Dental Crowns
A structurally altered tooth, whether due to decay or damage, can be repaired with a dental crown. A dental crown, also known as a dental cap, is a durable tooth-shaped appliance that encases your entire tooth from the gum line up to the crown. Traditionally, crown fabrication has always been done in an off-site laboratory, but these days there is a more convenient alternative: CEREC same-day crowns.
At Lawrence Dental Group, we have invested in computer-aided design and manufacturing or CAD/CAM technology to restore your smile without the wait. If you want to see the wonders of this technology, please book an appointment with our Kingston, Pennsylvania, dental office.
Why You May Need A Dental Crown
Over time, your teeth may weaken. This leaves your teeth susceptible to decay, chips, cracks, and stains. Dental crowns can restore the function and appearance of your smile. Dental caps serve numerous functions in dentistry, including:
- Strengthening a weakened tooth
- Esthetically improving a stained or misshapen tooth
- Completing the dental implant treatment
- Anchoring dental bridges in place
- Restoring cavities too large for typical dental fillings
A dental crown is shaped and colored like your natural teeth. So, you don’t have to worry about your smile once your tooth is treated with a crown. The smile will look as natural as ever!
How CEREC Dental Crowns Work
The process of same-day crowns starts the same way as traditional crowns. After numbing your mouth, we prepare your tooth by removing the decayed part and reshaping it to accommodate a dental crown. The similarities end there.
If you are getting a traditional dental crown, you would expect to bite a putty-like dental material to take your bite impressions. However, with CEREC dentistry, there is not a single tray of globby goop in sight! We use a hand-held intraoral camera to scan your teeth digitally. Within seconds, the computer generates a super-accurate 3D model of your teeth.
Now, here is where things become even more interesting. With the CAD/CAM technology, we design your crown right before your eyes. That’s not all. After the approval of your design, milling happens right here in the office. We have an in-house milling unit that fabricates your bespoke crown from a ceramic block in as little as 15 minutes!
Once your crown is ready, we make minor adjustments and use dental cement to bond it to your tooth. No need for temporary crowns. You walk out of our office with the real thing.
Before and After Treatment Images
Benefits of CEREC Dental Crowns
Getting traditional crowns means committing to several dental appointments spread over numerous weeks. However, CEREC crowns save your valuable time because everything happens in one visit. Besides convenience, the other benefits of CEREC crowns include:
- No need for uncomfortable temporary crowns — not only is the temporary crown ill-fitting, but you also have to be incredibly careful when using it. Such inconvenience can be a turn-off for most people.
- Fits like a glove — advanced technology results in dental crowns that match the exact specifications of your dentition.
- Affordable because of fewer visits
- Only requires one numbing injection — this is welcoming news for patients who fear needles.
- No messy bite impressions