Improve Your Oral Health and Your Smile with Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment in Kingston, PA
Gum Disease is one of the most common dental conditions and one of the most serious. When left untreated, gum disease can cause extensive damage to the gum tissue and bone structure that supports the teeth, leading to tooth loss and increasing the risk of other health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and stroke. When it comes to gum disease, the earlier it is caught, the more conservative the treatment options are. Non-surgical periodontal treatment from Lawrence Dental Group in Kingston, PA can restore health and beauty to your smile.
Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment: Scaling and Root Planing
The goal of scaling and root planing is to remove dental plaque and tartar that are causing inflammation to the gum tissue and the surrounding bone. This non-surgical “deep gum cleaning” is extremely effective for patients who have gingivitis and moderate periodontal disease.
What is Scaling and Root Planing?
- Scaling – During this portion of the procedure, special dental instruments including an ultrasonic scaling tool are used to remove plaque and tartar from the surfaces of the teeth as well as the roots. An antimicrobial agent is delivered below the gums to reduce bacteria.
- Root Planing – During this portion, the root is smoothed out to promote healing and to prevent bacteria from accumulating in the future.
Reasons for Scaling and Root Planing
There are several reasons Dr. Lawrence may recommend scaling and root planing.
- Systemic Disease Prevention – The oral bacteria responsible for gum disease can travel through the blood to other areas of the body. There has been research showing that certain conditions such as heart and lung disease can be connected to oral bacteria. The scaling and root planing procedure removes the bacteria and stops the progression of gum disease, which prevents the bacteria from traveling to other areas of the body.
- Tooth Protection – As the periodontal pockets deepen during the progression of gum disease, there is also an increase in colonies of dangerous oral bacteria. The body’s natural inflammatory response will destroy the gum tissue and bone, eventually leading to tooth loss.
- Improved Aesthetics – Because scaling and root planing removes plaque and tartar buildup from the teeth and below the gumline, it also removes surface stains from the teeth for an improved smile.
Make your Oral Health a Priority with Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about our treatment options for gum disease please call Lawrence Dental Group in Kingston, PA today at (570) 852-2650.